2023/12/05

BOUCHERON - BOUCHERON POUR FEMME 1988


Previously I wrote about perfumes worn by women that I've met during my stay in Paris, but the perfume that I wore back then has a significant meaning to me now. It was a very planned purchase to mark a new stage in my life. Before going to Paris I was carefully choosing a scent that would help me lock my emotions and feelings into a small bottle, to lock my memories in a scent... I was enchanted by one particular scent, and it was just moments after smelling it that I realized it was the perfume I was looking for. It was truly love at first spray, a coup de foudre. That's how Boucheron came into my life - Boucheron pour femme in a charming bottle with a sapphire blue cap.

Frédéric Boucheron founded his jewelry house in Paris in 1858. Before that, the jeweler had practiced at the Deschamps jewelry house, whose owner, when he left the business, advised to Boucheron not to start a jewelry business as he was unsuitable for it. However, Boucheron not only did well, but he also created one of the most famous jewelry companies in the world, adored by royalty and nobility, as well as many famous people. Boucheron was the first jeweler to relocate his business to the famous, luxurious Place Vendôme in 1893. He chose the premises and the building carefully, making sure that the daylight would illuminate the precious stones and reveal their charm. Boucheron jewelry has attracted attention and has even been awarded at the Universal Exhibition several times. Boucheron jewelry is still renowned for its exceptionally high standards - the precious stones are selected with the utmost precision and the jewellery house is run by renowned jewellers with a distinctive style.

Boucheron boutique in place Vendôme, Paris. Pictures taken from boucheron.com

One of the most memorable events in this jewelry house happened in 1928, when the Maharaja of Patiala, came to Boucheron with a great number of his jewels - rubies, emeralds, pearls, and diamonds - and asked them to create jewelry pieces for him using these jewels. After carefully examining the precious stones, the jeweler chose 7 571 diamonds, 1 432 emeralds, and other precious stones to create a jewelry collection that eventually consisted of 149 pieces. This collection is very famous in the jewelry world, surrounded by fascinating history, mystery, and legends.
In 1988, Boucheron launched its first perfume dedicated to women - Boucheron pour femme. Alain Boucheron, then the head of the jewelry house, wanted to create a perfume that, like diamonds, was multifaceted, shimmering, and luminous, like the reflection of light when the sun shines on precious stones. Perfumers Francis Deleamont and Jean-Perre Bethouard have made this idea a reality - a perfume that is a symbol of elegance, luxury, and tradition. The floral oriental fragrance is composed of a multitude of ingredients, the most prominent of which are the sweet floral notes of tuberose, ylang-ylang, and jasmine. The fragrance is based on civet, amber, sandalwood, and tonka beans. There is also a delicate vanilla note to give it a light sweetness. The bottle resembled a piece of jewelry - a golden ring with a sapphire blue stopper. Customers, enchanted by the scent, came to Boucheron looking for a ring that would be the same as the perfume bottle. However, the design of the bottle has changed several times.

It is a true vintage masterpiece that brings back many forgotten feelings. When I first tried this perfume, I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists, I just wanted to drown myself in the scent. The scent itself is a bit aldehydic, a bit soapy, although the notes don't mention aldehydes, but I can definitely smell them. Soap, white flowers, and vanilla, animalistic motifs - that's the shortest and simplest way I could describe this scent. It is bright, it fills the environment, and it is impossible to not be noticed when you wear it. The idea of creating a reflection of light in the perfume has been perfectly fulfilled - it's truly luminous, luxurious, incredibly feminine, elegant and a little flirtatious. It is completely timeless, transporting you back to the 1970s and yet perfectly in tune with the present day.
I have locked my memories of life in Paris with this perfume, in this small perfume bottle... I feel so happy that back then I have found a perfect scent that kind of guided me throught crazy Parisian days.

No comments: